Is a heavy duty floor jack rated for 3 tons enough for your SUV? You have to be sure, because a mistake can damage your car and destroy the floor jack. But if the cost of a 4-ton heavy duty floor jack is too much, then perhaps you can try a 3.5-ton jack. There is one model of this sort from American Forge called the INT350SS. It’s very expensive, but then it comes loaded with terrific features.
Features of the American Forge INT350SS
Let’s start with the 3.5-ton lift capacity. Sometimes a car like the Rolls Royce Phantom can go over the 6,000-pound mark. It weighs 6,052 pounds. So getting a 3-ton floor jack may not be sufficient, while a 4-ton floor jack may be overkill. With the 3.5-ton capacity of the INT350SS, you have just the right rating for a 3-ton car (or thereabouts).
This comes with a safety valve that keeps it from overloading.
The lift height range of the INT350SS is also impressive. It can go as high up as 19.5 inches, which gives you enough space to get under the car—as long as you use jack stands right away, of course. If you’re the type who likes to fiddle around under the car for minor repairs, this lift height is more than sufficient.
What’s a bit striking is that its minimum height is 4 inches. While that doesn’t really qualify as a “low profile” (that can go for less than 3 inches), it’s significantly lower than the regular profile. Most of the time the minimum height of those regular profile jacks is more than 5 inches.
This comes with a double pump design, so that you’re not forced to make at least 10 pumps to raise the jack up high. The 2nd volume pump helps the saddle to load in a shorter amount of time. This is great for professional mechanics as well as for private car owners who don’t want to waste time. Also, it features a universal joint that allows for greater precision for the release valve control.
The saddle is made of steel as it should be, but this can damage the vehicle if it comes into direct contact with the vehicle underside. So it helps a lot that it comes with a rubber pad to protect the vehicle.
There’s a foam cover for the handle too, so the car is protect from any inadvertent bumps from the handle. This handle is very reliable is it’s all in one piece. For storage, you will have to find space to accommodate the 50.25-inch handle length. At least it’s long enough so that you can pump the jack more easily.
It’s not really a problem to maneuver this floor jack around. You have 2 front wheels, and maneuverable 2.75-inch casters mounted in the rear. It’s very stable with its 29-inch length and 15-inch rear width, while the front width is 11.25 inches. The heavy weight helps with the stability too.
However, with its 119-pound shipping weight it’s not really practical to bring this along in the car so it can deal with flat tires. The shipping weight can also add greatly to the total expense.
Yes, this is easy to use, and very durable. The frame is very tough, and powder-coated for greater protection. The side plates are extremely stable and strong because they’re wider and thicker.
But that leads us to the main problem. All these great features come at great cost. It costs more than $300, and that’s very expensive for a 3.5-ton floor jack.
Pros of the INT350SS
- The 3.5-ton capacity gives you more leeway when the weight of your SUV or pickup truck hovers around the 6,000-pound mark. You don’t have to worry whether or not the several pounds over the 3-ton limit will be too much of a load.
- This even comes with a safety valve that prevents overloading.
- The 19.5-inch maximum height is more than enough to raise cars with large tires, and to give you lots of elbow room underneath the vehicle if you want to do some minor repairs there.
- Its 4-inch minimum is lower than usual, so you may even accommodate slightly lowered cars.
- There are lots of foam covering on the jack, both on the handle and on the saddle. That minimizes the chance of damaging the car from any inadvertent bumps.
- The double pump allows you to raise the jack higher much more quickly, so you don’t waste too much time. This is great for busy car owners and professional mechanics.
- Even the handle is longer than usual, which makes it very easy to use and maneuver. The rear casters also make it easy for you to place this exactly where you want it to.
- This is very stable, with its heavy weight, tough frame, and more robust side plates.
- You can depend on this to work well for a very long time. The build quality is terrific.
- It’s extremely expensive.
- It’s also very heavy, and that can make it a problem when you have to lift it.
- The handle’s 1-piece design may make storage more of a problem.
There’s no denying the high quality of the American Forge INT350SS. It’s strong enough to lift most pickup trucks and SUVs, and you can do so very quickly with the double-pump system. This can be relied up to stay in place, and it will last for quite a while.
Even the weight and the long handle aren’t really problems. It’s just the price that’s the main problem. If you can afford it, then perhaps it’s a good choice. But it’s so expensive that many will be tempted to look for more affordable options.
However, if you do decide to get the American Forge INT350SS at least you can console yourself that it’s a good investment. You won’t have to buy a replacement for it anytime soon, and its features make it very easy for you to use it for rotating your tires and for doing minor repairs on your car.