Some of the premium-quality heavy duty floor jacks today, unfortunately, can be very expensive. A good example of this is the Hein-Warner floor jack. Part of the reason for their high price tag is because they’re mostly made in the US. The same company that makes the Hein-Warner jack also produces more affordable floor jacks. They’re cheaper not because they’re so much more inferior. It’s just that they’re made in China.
Still, these more affordable jacks offer impressive features. You don’t even have to worry about quality either. Most people who have used the Blackhawk B6350 have noted durability and quality. If you have a vehicle that weighs 7,000 pounds at the most, then this may be just what you’re looking for.
Features of the Blackhawk B6350
This has a 3.5-ton lifting capacity, and that’s great if you have a very heavy vehicle. Many SUVs and light trucks weigh between 5,000 and 7,000 pounds, so the Blackhawk B6350 can accommodate them all. It can be a bit worrisome to use a regular 3-ton floor jack for many SUVs these days, because they weigh around 6,000 pounds or so. The 3.5-ton rating gives you a lot more breathing room.
Speaking of breathing room, the lift height capacity of the Blackhawk B6350 can give you a lot of space if you plan to work underneath your car. This floor jack can go up to an astounding 22 inches, which is far higher than other floor jacks can go. Most of the time, other jacks can go only 18 to 20 inches up.
The Blackhawk B6350 can go up very quickly, at least until the saddle reaches the load. Then once you start actually lifting your car, it raises the vehicle very carefully. This is great for safety, although it can use up a lot of your time and effort. It will take you at least 20 strokes of the handle to get to the maximum 22-inch height, and in some cases it may even take 25 strokes.
The minimum height of the saddle is 5.5 inches, which is normal. If you have a car at a normal height then at least it doesn’t take longer than when you start your lift lower. However, this renders the jack useless for lowered cars. For those vehicles (such as lowriders and sports cars), you will need a floor jack with a much lower profile.
Getting it back down is even easier though. There’s a release valve that lets you set it back down in just 4 seconds or so.
This jack offers several crucial safety features. You can be sure of its strength, as it’s made of heavy duty steel. The rolled side frames are robust, and they help enhance the rigidity and strength of the jack. The bypass device keeps you from over-pumping, and there’s also an internal safety valve built-in. The saddle is padded as well.
It weighs 85 pounds, and that heavy weight helps keep it in place. Its size also boosts the stability as it is 30.1 inches long and 15.8 inches wide.
The handle is in one piece, and when it’s fully raised it’s not quite vertical. That doesn’t really affect storage, since the handle is detachable. It measures 50 inches long so you can pump it easily enough.
Pros of the Blackhawk B6350
- The Blackhawk B6350 comes with a very convenient 3.5-ton rating. That makes it suitable for vehicles that weigh a bit more than 6,000 pounds. You won’t have to settle for the 4-ton (8,000-pound) floor jack which is overkill and a lot more expensive.
- It takes very little time and effort to get the saddle to the lifting point of the vehicle.
- This has an astonishingly high lifting range. This means you have lots of space to work with underneath the vehicle when you do repairs on that area. You can also lift the car high enough so you can lift raised cars or replace very large tires.
- Setting the load down is even easier, as it will take you just 4 seconds. You’re not forced to manually turn the handle slowly to set the load down.
- The saddle comes with a rubber pad so you don’t end up with metal to metal contact.
- You have lots of safety measures, such as an over-pumping bypass device and an overload safety valve.
- The handle is easy and comfortable to use, and since it’s detachable there should be no problem with storage.
- This is really heavy duty and designed to last for a very long time. The side frames are designed to keep from twisting under the load. It even comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The price is actually reasonable.
- This is bulky and heavy at 85 pounds, so it’s not exactly portable. It doesn’t make sense for you to use as your roadside jack just in case you get a flat tire. It’s specifically made for home use, preferably on a nice concrete floor.
- The casters work well enough, but they’re a tad small. They can get caught on various small objects when you’re trying to roll them in place.
- The quick lift technology works only until the saddle reaches the lifting point. Then it’s excruciatingly slow to get it to the maximum height. Some other floor jacks can reach the maximum height in less than 4 strokes. This can take you as many as 25 strokes. If you’re a professional mechanic with lots of customers to attend to during the day, that’s a lot of wasted time and effort.
- The rubber padding on the saddle is also annoyingly not secured in place. So you may need to roll the jack gently so the rubber padding doesn’t fall off.
The Blackhawk B6350 really offers a lot of value for your money. It’s not expensive, but you’d expect it to be with all the amazing features. It’s tough, reliable, easy to use and maintain, and it can last a while. If you’re minding your budget (and who isn’t these days), the Blackhawk B6350 is a great investment for home use.