One obvious requirement for those who are looking for a heavy duty floor jack is that it should be tough. That’s the main problem with the stock aluminum jacks you get when you buy a car. They tend to fail very frequently, and they’re not exactly known to last for a very long time. You won’t find a professional mechanic using one of those. However, you may find a pro using the excellent Powerbuilt 647593 floor jack.
So how do that the Powerbuilt 647593 is that tough and that good? Let’s take a look at the features:
Features of the Powerbuilt 647593
There’s been a lot of discussion about how so many affordable heavy duty floor jacks are priced so reasonably because they’re made in China. It’s not just because of some nationalistic non-sense that this is a concern, however. It’s because “Made in China” doesn’t exactly guarantee premium quality control.
All these concerns, however, are addressed by Powerbuilt because the Powerbuilt 647593 meets (and at some points exceed) ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards. So this is reasonably safe and reliable.
You can see this for yourself, as this uses heavy duty steel in its construction. The flanged side panels also ensure that even under heavy load (or at least within the 3.5-ton limit) this floor jack won’t warp or flex.
The 3.5-ton limit is very convenient, for many people who own SUVs and pickup trucks. In some cases, their vehicles weigh only a little bit over 6,000 pounds. That makes getting the 4-ton floor jacks can be excessive, and much more expensive than it ought to be.
The maximum height of the Powerbuilt 647593 is reasonably high at 19 and ⅜ inches. You’ll have enough space to work underneath the vehicle. Hopefully, you’ll also have enough brains to use jack stands when you do work under the car.
The handle is made of solid steel and it is 40 inches long. There is no special technology for rapid pumping, though. Also, you need to be careful and deliberate when you pump the handle, as there’s no foaming that can keep it from damaging the car finish if you’re too enthusiastic.
At least the handle stays in place when you pause in using it, and there’s also a release valve that helps in letting you control the descent of the load on the jack stands. The grip area is also knurled, so you can hold it more securely.
The minimum height of the saddle is about 5.5 inches, so it may not fit under lowered sports cars. It’s easy enough to maneuver though, as the rear casters are designed to swivel 360 degrees. Its stability is helped by its 80.3 pound weight and robust dimensions. It measures 29 inches long and 15.2 inches wide.
Again, don’t worry about the durability of the Powerbuilt 647593. Powerbuilt even claims that it was designed and made to be the most reliable floor jack in the industry. They even offer a 1-year warranty to back it up.
Pros of the Powerbuilt 647593
- The obvious high quality and durability of the Powerbuilt 647593 is perhaps its most notable feature. There’s no doubting the strength of this floor jack. It will support the weight (within the 3.5-ton) limit with no problem, and it will last for a very long time. That’s what the ANSI standards are all about, as well as the 1-year warranty.
- The maximum height of the Powerbuilt 647593 is also more than ample enough. It can offer you the space you need to work under the car, it can deal with high lifting points, and you can un-mount large tires.
- This will also stay in place with no problem, and again the ANSI code attests to this. It won’t flex or warp while you’re raising or lowering it, which can be a problem if you’re lowering it on a jack stand.
- It’s easy enough to maneuver, so that you can place it precisely where you want it.
- The handle stays in place when you pause in your efforts, and it’s actually very easy to use.
- You have great control over the load when you lower it, so you can be very sure that the jack stand is at the right place to support your vehicle.
- The 3.5-ton rating gives you a lot of leeway when you’re lifting your SUV or pickup truck, if its weight hovers around (or is at a little bit over) 6,000 pounds. Here you have a 7,000-pound maximum lifting capacity.
- The price isn’t really bad at all.
- The weight of this floor jack doesn’t really make it ideal for on the road use since it’s so heavy.
- There are no quick lift systems at all, so it will take you a lot of time and handle strokes to reach the maximum height. That can waste your time when you’re a professional mechanic, and many private car owners will be annoyed by this as well.
- There’s no padding on the saddle, so you have metal on metal contact when you lift your vehicle.
- The handle doesn’t even have any type of foam covering, so you need to be careful when you’re pumping the handle. If you’re too enthusiastic, you may hit the handle on your vehicle.
Despite the lack of amenities like foam covering on the handle, rubber on the saddle, and a quick lift system, the Powerbuilt 647593 does have a lot of fans. That’s because it has earned a reputation for reliability that you won’t easily find in other brands. Don’t even think about comparing aluminum jacks to the Powerbuilt 647593—that’s a joke.
So should you buy the Powerbuilt 647593? That depends. If your main concern is reliability, then this is a great choice. Its reliability is unsurpassed among heavy duty floor jacks in this price range. The only way you’ll find another floor jack this dependable is if you double its price.