Trolley jacks for cars are suitable for everyday use at home, service stations, and garages. They are an essential tool needed to be kept in the trunk of your car or in your garage
The purpose of the trolley jack is to hoist the vehicle without any extra effort to complete any work or a general inspection.
A trolley jack is needed to raise the car and perform various servicing requirements like changing tires, working on restrained assemblies, etc.
It is essential to remember that trolley jacks are built for only elevating the vehicle. They cannot remain holding the vehicle in that position over a prolonged period of time.
Do not forget to place axle stands or other quality supports along the trolley jack before you start crawling under the car!
Capacity requirement of the trolley jack
Every jack comes with a maximum load-bearing capability. To select which load-lifting capacity trolley jack to choose for yourself, there are certain things that need to be kept in mind.
First is that the car is usually jacked in one corner only. Therefore, the jack’s weight capability should be calculated as 1/3rd of the vehicle’s total weight.
The second is the personal safety issue. Don’t ever use a jack whose capability is less than the vehicle it is being used for.
Be aware of all specifications before selecting the ideal trolley jack. All information regarding weight of the car is given in the car manuals. Calculate properly.
For example, a family saloon car would need a 2 ton jack, whereas a 4 x 4 SUV owner will have to buy a jack with a minimum 3 ton capacity.
Purpose of a trolley jack
After the weight capacity, the next deciding factor should be the purpose of purchase.
If you need it for mild DIY tinkering at home, then you can go for low cost cycle applications. They are light, compact, cheap, and can be carried around in the trunk of the car.
With proper maintenance, they can have a long serving life.
If you are a serious car enthusiast and like to spend your weekends in the garage under the chassis of your car, then you should opt for a trolley jack that can handle medium- to heavy-duty lifting.
They are versatile and offer the owner different lifting options like high lift, rocket lift, or low profile.
Their disadvantage lies in their size; they are big and bulky and unsuitable to be carried around in the car with ease.
Amateur racers should opt for a trolley jack made of aluminum. Aluminum jacks are lightweight and can easily navigate the uneven terrain of a racing track.
Not only that, they are built with racing in mind. So if you participate in racing stock cars or rally cross, you know which trolley jack to choose!
If you are a professional car-servicing personnel or a mechanic with your own garage, you will need a trolley jack experienced in high volume, commercial applications.
A pro jack is ideal for such uses. You have to buy a jack that lasts longer even with constant use.
Rule of thumb
Besides the load lifting capacity and purpose of use, there are certain key factors that have to be minded when buying a Trolley Jack. They include:
- Saddle size—The bigger the diameter of the saddle, the more snugly it will fit the car’s base. This will help in lifting the car more securely.
- Lifting height—the lifting range of the Jack need to be considered seriously because that is the height your car can be raised whenever needed.
Features of a trolley jack
There are a certain identifying characteristics of a trolley jack.
- Low profile—They are made purposely for low-slung cars like a sports car.
- Aluminum body—Aluminum casing reduces the weight of the jack and is easy to maneuver. It is perfect for racing car hobbyists.
- High lift—It is ideal for cars that can’t be lifted easily. They raise the car to a level higher than normal car-jacking equipment. It is suitable for flexible inspection and servicing.
- Rocket lift—It means that the car is hoisted quickly with minimum pumping. This is possible because of dual or larger sized pistons.
There are a few add-ons to a trolley jack which provide a bundled advantage to the buyer.
- Jacks of all kinds needs a stand to hold it securely to prevent any mishaps involved a raised car with you underneath.
- Axle stands and similar products are used for such purposes.
- One should not attempt to work below a car without it securely atop a jack stand. Trolley jacks are not created to act as car supports for long period.
- Certain portable kind of trolley jacks come in a case or box that can be easily carried in the trunk of the car. They are suitable for catering to car emergencies.
This combo kit from Torin contains a trolley jack with a capacity of 2 tons, 2 jack stands, blow mold case, and a jack handle.
- It has a 360° rotating saddle, back-end swivel casters, and handles with safety release and positive locking.
- An inbuilt safety feature prevents the jack from lifting anything more than its sustainable weight.
- The jack stand has a reflexive tooth design and locking pawl, especially for additional protection.
- This trolley jack is capable of bearing maximum 4,000 pounds of weight.
- The lifting range is anywhere between 5.5” to 13.4”.
- The jack stands have similar capacity but it supports ranges between 10.8” to 16.5”.
- The trolley jack weighs 38.1 pounds.
- It’s can be measured as 32.3” x 10.2” x 7.7”.
- This jack comes in a plastic case for easy mobility. It is small but can be used for several different vehicles.
- The jack’s coating is dirt, grease, and oil proof. Its steel frame is ideal for providing strength for lifting big loads with stability and durability.
- The stand and the jack are ASME PALD safety standard certified.